After being dismissed: Registering with the employment office

  • If you are dismissed, you have to register with the Federal Employment Office, first as a job seeker and then as unemployed.
  • Register as a job seeker within three days and as unemployed no later than the first day after the end of your employment.
  • If you miss the deadline, you will receive your unemployment benefit late.
  • You may also be able to receive a severance pay with your notice.

Registering as a job seeker or as unemployed?

The terms " job seeking" and "unemployed" are often used interchangeably, so we briefly shed light on the different meaning before we go into detail. You must register as a job seeker if you know that your employment is about to end. On the other hand, registration as an unemployed person is only required when the employment has ended and you have not yet found work.

How do you register as a job seeker?

After your received notice of your termination, you must register at least 3 months before the end of the notice period with the Federal Employment Agency as a job seeker. In case the period of notice is shorter than 3 months, you only have 3 working days. If you do not register in time, the payment of your unemployment benefits will be blocked for one week.

Options for registering as a job seeker:

  • in person at an office of the Federal Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit)
  • by telephone on the toll-free number 0800 4 555500
  • online on the website of the Agentur für Arbeit

You can receive a severance payment. Find out your prospects severance pay & subject your termination to our free and non-binding initial check.

How do you register as unemployed?

If haven't found a new job when your employment ends, you must register as unemployed by the end of the notice period. In the event that you don't submit your registration in time, you won't start to receive your unemployment benefits from the beginning of your unemployment but after the registration has been successfully processed.

In person registration is required. In contrast to registering as a jobseeker, in-person registration with the Federal Employment Agency is required. Due to corona the Federal Employment Agency allows registration by telephone.

Documents to bring:

  • ID or passport including confirmation of registration, residence or work permit
  • social security card
  • letter of termination & employment contract
  • curriculum vitae